Skip to main content

Foreigners wanting to legally live in Spain need a visa, unless they are from a member state of the European Union, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, or Liechtenstein. If you want to know what types of visas are needed to live in Spain, at Terra Homes we are going to give you all of the information you need.

What type of visa do you need to live in Spain?

To stay for longer than 90 days in Spain, you need to have a long-term visa, also known as a D type visa. Once this visa is granted, you can get a residence visa and complete the fingerprint processes.

What are the long-term visas to live in Spain?

There are different types of long-term visas to legally reside in Spain. Let’s take a look at these:

Work visa

Foreigners who want to legally work in Spain need a work visa. There are two different types of work visas:

  • Employee work permit: this is the permit needed to work for a third-party company.
  • Self-employed permit: this is the permit needed if you are starting your own business.

Residence permit visa (Non lucrative)

Foreigners wanting to live in Spain, but not work, are able to be granted a residence permit visa (non-lucrative). To get this the individual must have a certain economic level, as well as a private medical insurance policy.

General family reunification visa

Foreigners legally residing in Spain often want some of their family members to come and join them here too. To do this they can apply for a general family reunification visa, once the family member has been living in Spain for a year, and if they are financially dependent on said person.

Specifically, children under the age of 18, or spouses and parents over the age of 65 can get this general family reunification visa if the foreigner has been living for over a year in Spain.

Family reunification visa for EU foreigners

Family reunification is even simpler when the reunified person is Spanish or from a member state of the European Union. In these cases, the only requirement is that the person coming from a third party country has a five year residency card, called a community card.

Residency visa for investors in Spain

Also known as the Golden Visa, this visa grants residency to those foreigners who want to invest in properties, shares, or bonds in Spain. To do this they need to make a minimum investment of half a million euros, and they are able to get this visa once they are already in Spain (there is no requirement to previously be granted said visa in the country of origin).

What is long-term residency?

Long-term residency is a permit for foreigners who have legally resided in Spain for five years. With this authorization they are able to live indefinitely in Spain and will only have to renew their permit every five years.

There are a series of requirements to be met by those people wanting to be granted legal residency in Spain, regardless of the type of visa they want to process. These are seen listed below:

  • Have a valid passport and submit an original and copy of this.
  • Submit three passport size photos.
  • Complete the application form for the corresponding permit which will be used in Spain.
  • Have no criminal record for the last five years and submit your police records.
  • Have a private medical insurance if you are not working for a Spanish company.

Do you need more information about the types of Spanish visas? Remember that at Terra Homes we are here to help, so do not hesitate to ask us any questions, we will be happy to be at your service.

Leave a Reply